It’s been two weeks since I set out to work on creating a new family and cleaning schedule. It is definitely still a work in progress. I’ve been really tuning in to what my family is good at, what we stink at, where we could use some help/simplification etc. Stopping to really take it in has been helpful and eye opening. I don’t know that I actually ever really took that time before.
The first thing I did was to sit down and write out on some scrap paper each day of the week. I made a note on each day of specific schedules (like swim class on Saturdays.) Then I started to plug in a room or space to concentrate on for each day. The room a day method seems to work out best for us. I’ve already switched some days around to create a better flow.
Now that I’ve got that part sorted out I will be working on a specific chore list for each room. I want to create a checklist that we can mark off as each task is completed.
- I have noticed that time seems to get away from us headed towards bedtime (particularly on nights my husband works late.) This means I get stuck having to do end of the day pickup all by myself once the kids are in bed and I want everyone to take a part in this DAILY.
- We are good at following list. We may not get everything done, but we get a great deal more accomplished when the plans/task are clear.
- We need to step up our organization throughout the house. No more “stuff” without a home. It is slowing us down for sure.
- While my husband is always willing to help me out he doesn’t want to be nagged and he needs to do things at his own pace. I need to keep this in mind when I am assigning chores.
- My kids are getting big enough that I need to stop doing some things for them. I have a habit of just doing something because it faster and easier. I know they will never learn responsibility if I don’t let go.
- plan some really simple meals with limited cleanup (think sandwiches, pizza, one dish casseroles.) If I can prep ahead during the week even better.
- use paper plates and cups on busy weekends to speed up cleanup. I would like this to be short term as we get a better handle on things but I believe it could be very helpful.
- start each weekend morning with look at the day ahead. make sure we are all on the same page about the days plan/timeline/etc.